Thursday, April 16, 2009

Faith Reflection: The True Light

April 12, 09

Faith Reflection:

“The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world” (John 1:9, NIV).

Faith Reflection:

As I celebrated Easter, I reflected upon the purpose of Christ’s incarnation, His words and deeds. Of all the Biblical titles given Jesus Christ such as Savior, Shepherd, Bridegroom etc., I favor “light.” Those whom Jesus met saw the light of hope. The Bible illustrates the following: those whom Jesus met saw the light of hope; where there had been power of darkness was illuminated with the ray of Christ and was filled with hope; despondency changed into hope. I believe that the word of God works the same even to this day.

As I am pursuing the doctoral program in Higher Education, I find myself living with a constant reminder to develop “Critical Views.” As much as it is a perspective absolutely necessary in academics, I sometimes come away with the frightening feeling that it enables me to see negativity rather than positivity, despondency rather than hope, and weaknesses rather than strengths.

A little while ago, North Korea launched missiles and announced the appointment of the successor to Kim, Jong Il is under way. In spite of the international outcry over the recent events, the subjects of the North Korea are thanking and praising Kim. It is said that US $1 a day can save many people in Africa from famine. Ironically, the undergraduate tuition at my school costs 40,000 times as much. For whom is this education?

The purpose of my study is to use my doctoral degree as a mere tool to effectively transmit the gospel of Christ. I reaffirm my ultimate objective of becoming the “light” of the world, as Christ has shown, by making proper use of knowledge, experience, human relations, and training I will have gained through my study.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment